Towns of the
Alburni
There are about a dozen
small towns that ring the Alburni massif; they are all on
the slopes and range in elevation from about 300 meters to
700. That range of elevation may also occur within the
individual towns, themselves, since some of them really do
seem to be clinging precariously to the hillside. When you
set out to walk "down" the street, that's not just a
figure of speech. Postiglione (pop. 2300) is one of these
towns. (It is marked by the number 1 on the map.) The town
perches at 650 meters on the NW slope of the Alburni
massif. It is part of the nature preserve of the Sele and
Tanagro rivers.
Local landmarks in
Postiglione are the church of San Giorgio, the belfry of
San Nicola, the Norman castle, and the monument fountains
in the center of town. There are a number of noteworthy
religious festivals, including the celebration of the
feast day in May of St. Elias during which a statue of the
saint is transported into a cave at 900 meters in the
woods right above the town.
The town of Controne (#2 on
the map) is a few km from Postiglione (above), just at the
SW corner of the rectangular Alburni massif. Controne has
about 1000 inhabitants and is partially within the
boundaries of the Cilento & Vallo di Diano National
Park. The town is at a mere 204 meters a.s.l. Unlike other
towns on the slopes, almost none of it extends above the
road that circles most of the massif. The first traces of
the history of Controne are actually in a small nearby
village, Pezza, where archaeologists have excavated a
Greek temple with mosaic floors and numerous coins with
the effigy of the sea-god Neptune. The original
inhabitants apparently moved further up the hill to avoid
the neighbors from nearby Greek Poseidonia (Paestum) who
were becoming a bit too expansive. Even well after that
period, the history of the town is linked to getting away
from invaders, such as Saracen pirates, whose raids,
beginning in the 9th century, put constant pressure on
coastal inhabitants to move to the hills. The name
"Controne," itself, comes from contra elion—"against
the sun" in Greek. With the Alburni Mountains at its back,
the town was a land "set against the sun".
The town is close to
the Calore river, and the old aqueduct that used to
channel water from the river and local springs to the
mills of the area is still visible. Delightfully, Controne
is most known for the fagiolo, the common bean, Phaseolus
vulgaris! The townspeople celebrate it with a yearly
festival, put on period costumes, open the old taverns and
enter bean heaven for a short time.
Castelcivita is at 526
meters on the southern slope of the Alburni massif (#3 on
the map); the population is about 2,000. The area directly
below the town has easy access to the banks of the Calore
river in the valley below. The present name was given to
the town in 1863 shortly after the unification of Italy.
Centuries earlier, during the reign of the Angevin dynasty
(1266-1442), the town was known as Civita Pantuliano, and
then under the Aragonese (1443-1501) as Castelluccio
(Little Castle), probably in reference to the beautiful
tower and walls that had been built earlier by the
Angevins. The medieval structures are still visible. The
narrow alleys and the coats of arms of many noble families
carved over the ancient portals have preserved the
medieval charm of the town.
Stacked up the
hillside as it is, this is one of the towns on the Alburni
slopes that really does look as if it is hanging on by a
single precarious domino. For that reason—and this is some
consolation—there are a great many places that offer
splendid views west over the Calore valley to the hills on
the other side. Castelcivita has given its name to the
nearby Grotta di Castelcivita—the Castelcivita Grotto or Cave,
the longest karst cave in southern Italy. (See that
separate link.) It is located directly beneath the town.
Ottati (#4 on the map)
is at 530 meters on the southern slope of the Alburni
massif.The population is about 800. It was founded in the
Middle Ages by citizens of the destroyed town of nearby
Fasanella. (In 1246-8 Frederick
II went through this area and razed a number of
towns, all feudal fiefs of barons in revolt against him.
See Capaccio.)
The best known
attractions are the Sanctuary of the Madonna of Cordoneto,
established just below the town in the 15th century and
then expanded in the 18th, and the monastery of San
Domenico built in the year 1480. It is built around a
beautiful cloister (photo, left) with a two-level
colonnade.
Actually, the thing I
read said (in its quaint almost-English fashion) "in harness
with," not "in harmony with", but you never know. That
Rifugio bills itself as a hotel/restaurant, and it is
indeed in a beautiful setting. If you can get up there to
enjoy it, you really should. It is one of the two large
obviously manmade structures on the Alburni plateau (the
other is the astronomical observatory, accessible from
Sant'Angelo a Fasanella) but "Don't miss" makes it sound
as if it's right across the street. It's not. It is dead
up-hill to 1700 meters for about 4 miles and over a road
that should blush to call itself paved. Drive south out of
Ottato to the cemetery (that's right, the cemetery!), turn
up, put your mule in low gear and go for it. The so-called
road is unlighted, has no reflectors on the sides and
passes through thick woods at times; thus, do NOT drive up
at night. Also be prepared to argue with livestock over
the right of way. Be nice to them; you may need them and
that harness I mentioned in order to get back.Do not miss "Rifugio Panormo" the highest peak of the Alburni Mounts; it will surprise you with incredible green scenarios and the huge variety of plants and flowers colouring the valley. It is ideal to spend some time relaxing in harmony with an uncontaminated nature!
Sant'Angelo a
Fasanella (#5 on the map) is at 650 meters on the southern
slope of the Alburni massif in the Cilento and Vallo di
Diano National Park. The town has a population of about
800. The name of Sant'Angelo a Fasanella is the result of
the union of the name of Fasanella, an ancient city
destroyed by the troops of the emperor Frederick II in
1247 (see Ottati, above) and the farmhouse of Sant'Angelo.
The name Fasanella, itself, derives from the name of an
even more ancient Greek city, Phasis, that lay in the
Caucasus on the border between Asia Minor and the Colchis
region (the modern nation of Georgia). Today, Sant'Angelo
a Fasanella is divided into two districts, Sopralattera
and Bassolattera. The old town center is rich with
religious monuments such as the churches of Santa
Maria Maggiore, Madonna della Pietà, Il
Nome di Dio, and the ex-monastery of San Francesco,
which once housed a Carmelite order and now belongs to the
town administration. In the valley at the foot of the
Alburni mountains, you can wander among the ruins of
Fasanella and see the ruins of ancient dwellings and the
remains of a Roman bridge at Sorgente Auso. The crest of
the town bears the image of a pheasant.
Sant'Angelo a Fasanella is also the
easiest point of departure for an item of extreme
historical interest—the stone sculpture of the Antece (the
"Old One"—see this link).
It is hewn to life-size, and is at 1125 meters. You have
to be in pretty good shape to get up there. (In spite of
what some local literature says, it is probably not an
"ancient god" but a version of a guardian warrior. It is
of uncertain age, but is probably at least 2,000 years
old.) The whole area is a gigantic karst area (see this link) and offers
a great number of caves. Sant'Angelo a Fasanella,
specifically, has the Grotta del Auso, the Grotta del Fumo
and the Grotta of San Michele Arcangelo, seat of an
ancient Benedictine community from the IX century. There
are religious festivals such as the procession of the
Madonna of the Mountains. In the summer there are
gastronomic and environmental exhibits.
Corleto Monforte (#6 0n
the map) is at 678 meters on the southeastern slope of the
Alburni plateau. The town has about 700 inhabitants.
Corleto was probably founded by the ancient Lucanians in
the 5th century BC in an area previously inhabited by
Greek settlers. Evidence of this historical interaction is
the presence of numerous artifacts found in the area. It
is in an area where Greek, Lucanian, and then Roman
spheres of influence overlapped. The name of the town
derives from coryletum, referring to corylus
avella, the hazelnut tree. (It is not the only town
in Campania named for the hazelnut; see Avella.)
The growth of Corleto
Monforte was influenced by the presence of the hospital of
San Zaccaria, which had direct links with the hospital of
the Santo Spirito in Rome, itself founded by Pope Innocent
III in 1200. The medieval structures and walls left
standing and the small streets combine to make Corleto a
tiny medieval jewel. The historical center is full of
interesting architecture, the imposing tower (photo, left)
and the church of Saints Filippo and Giacomo (Phillip and
James), where, legend has it, a book of prayers was left
here by Saint Peter in his travels.
Sicignano degli Alburni
(#7 on map) is at 610 meters on the NE slope of the
Alburni massif. With a population of about 3500, it is a
bit larger than the other towns mentioned above. Just
outside the town there is an archaeological site where
visitors can find a Roman necropolis. The town looks down
over the Tanagro river and the beginning of the Vallo di
Diano plain; the necropolis is consistent with a number of
other such important finds in this part of what used to be
ancient Lucania. (Also see the entry on the Archaeological Museum of Western
Lucania.) Until 1923 the town was named simply
Sicignano; why they decided to to add the obvious "of the
Alburni" is anyone's guess. Mine was that it avoided
confusion with other towns named Sicignano in Italy, but
it turns out that there are no others.
During the Middle Ages
the town was fortified with walls and a polygonal castle,
Castello Giusso (photo, right), named for the powerful
feudal family that held the town in fief. The Capuchin
monastery and the church of St. Matthew with its beautiful
baroque bell tower are also of interest. The church
contains precious sculptures dating back to the 1600s as
well as some Renaissance paintings. The town has a yearly
chestnut festival in October.
Petina (#8 on the map)
is at 642 meters on the NE slope of the Alburni massif.
Like Sicignano (above) the town overlooks the Tanagro
river and the beginning of the Vallo di Diano plain. The
town has about 1200 inhabitants. It is joined to the other
towns mentioned above by the road that circles that
massif, but less obviously is also joined directly to
Sant' Angelo a Fasanella (#5 on map) on the other side pf
the massif by a steep road up and over the top, passing
across the plateau and the astronomical observatory
(photo, below). The road is paved but unlighted with no
barriers on the sides. You should not drive it at night.
It's a strange irony when the best place to view the
heavens is an observatory that is difficult to get to at
night! What can I say? Go early and camp over until the
next day. (Actually the best road up to and down from the
observatory is from the other side at Sant' Angelo a
Fasanella. That way, you have a chance, even in the dark.
A convoy with blazing headlights is even better.)
Pliny mentioned this
area in his writings, describing the thick forests of
Silver Fir that have given Petina its name (abies
pectinata). The oldest monument in Petina is the
monastery of Sant' Onofrio, patron saint of the town.
There is another monastery, Cava de' Tirreni, dating from
1174 as well as the Abbey of Montevergine (from 1192) (not
to be confused with the site of the same name in the
Campanian province of Avellino). Other sites in Petina
worth visiting are the church of San Nicola di Bari, the
Old Fountain, and the Chapel of the Corpus Domini.
Favorite foodstuffs of Petina include wild strawberries
and local caciocavallo cheese, sausages and bread.
Polla is at 468 meters
on the SE perimeter of the Alburni massif (#9 on the map).
It completes the "ring" of towns around the plateau, the
premise of this page. The town actually straddles the
Tanagro river and is in the valley between the Alburni
plateau and that part of the southern Appenines called the
Maddalena mountains. Polla is the point at which ancient
Lucanian shepherds drove their flocks across the river and
up onto the plateau during the seasonal migrations know as
the transumanza. Polla
borders on the Italian region of Basilicata. The word
Polla, itself, means a spring; the immediate area has an
abundance of springs and small water-courses that all flow
into the Tanagro river. That is the likely etymology of
the name of the town. More fanciful etymologies claim that
it is from the name Insteia Polla, who, at the time of
Nero, dedicated a mausoleum to her husband, Gaio Uziano
Rufo. The mausoleum was found nearby and she, indeed, had
her name chiseled on it, so I guess you can believe what
you want.
There are also a number
of small caves that are geologically part of the same
general karst system
as the nearby Pertosa Grotto.
Inhabited since ancient times, Polla became a town when
the Romans, taking advantage of the town's proximity to
their nearby Via Popilia, built a forum here. The Via
Popilia led from Capua south along the Vallo di Diano
plain and down to Rhegium on the Straits of Messina.
Recent archaeology has uncovered the so-called "Polla
Tablet," a partially intact stone tablet engraved with the
"itinerary"—a list of stops along the route. Roman
archaeological finds in the area also include a bridge
over the Tanagro; it is certainly the most obvious bit of
Roman construction in the town since it is still in use!
(photo, right)
Roscigno is at 574
meters on the slopes of Mount Pruno (#10 on map) just to
the SW of the Alburni massif, as that plateau starts to
descend into the Vallo di Diano and the hills farther to
the south in the Cilento. The town has about 900
inhabitants. Mt. Pruno is also known locally as the balcone
(balcony) of the Alburni, jutting out as it does and,
indeed, providing a strategic look-out point for ancient
peoples; they could watch the approaches from the Vallo di
Diano and the Tanagro river valley to the east as well as
check traffic in and out of the great Greek center of
Paestum and coastal areas to the west.
Mount Pruno, the height above the
town is at 879 meters and boasts an interesting
archaeological site, that of the pre-Roman ancient
Lucanians. The Lucanians are thought to have been an
offshoot of the fierce Samnites, from farther to the north
and mortal enemies of the Romans. By the mid-500s BC,
these Lucanian descendants had already settled in
"Lucania" (in modern Italy, that covers roughly the
province of Basilicata and parts of modern-day Campania)
and had interrupted the lives of the Greek colonies on the
coast at Paestum and Velia. The nucleus of the original
Lucanian settlement is likely to have been as early as the
mid-600s BC, which means that they were probably watching
from the hills when the first Greek colonists showed up.
"There goes the neighborhood," some old Lucanian is sure
to have grumbled in Oscan. "No doubt," said a couple of
early Romans in Latin much farther to the north. "But you
ain't seen nothin' yet."
Aquara (#11 on map) is
at 500 meters overlooking the Calore river valley just to
the west of the Alburni massif in the Cilento and Vallo di
Diano National Park. An ancient Roman settlement has been
uncovered in nearby Madonna del Piano, and some sources
say that the site was originally settled by the Greeks.
That would certainly not be unusual since major centers of
Magna Grecia, the Greek colonies at Poseidonia
(Paestum) and Elea (Velia),
are but a few miles distant. The Greeks moved in around
600 BC, ran off the proto-Lucanian natives and built their
fine cities. Then, around 200 years later, the Lucanians
returned (presumably a lot less "proto-" and much better
armed!) and displaced the Greeks, who then took to the
hills and founded a number of centers that make up the
community of small hill towns in the Cilento. So Aquara
may have been Greek, although I don't know of any solid
archaeology to back that up.
In any event, the juiciest history
is from the Middle Ages. After the Romans, the area was
subject to the usual parade of rulers: the Goths,
Byzantines, Lombards, and Normans (see Easy Steps to the Dark Ages).
The Aquara castle, itself, was originally built by Saracen
(Arab) invaders. That would have been sometime in the
1100s when the Arabs had still not given up entirely on
establishing a colonial foothold on the mainland of Italy
even though they had just been ousted from Sicily by the
Normans. (The hit-and-run plunder/kidnapping tactics of Saracen pirates along the coasts
of the mainland are more associated with Ottoman Turkish
pirates of later centuries (1400s-1600s) well after
Arab-Muslim power had faded.) The Normans, however,
eventually moved into the area to incorporate it into the
fledgling "Kingdom of Sicily" (the future Kingdom of
Naples).
The bizarre "Challege
of Barletta" occurred on 15 February 1503. It
was somewhat of a run-up to the main event, the battle of
Cerignola, itself. It was not the only prelim on the card,
but it is the most famous, rendered so in literature by
Massimo d'Azeglio (1798-1866), Italian patriot,
politician, son-in-law of Alessandro Manzoni, and coiner
of arguably the most famous phrase of the Risorgimento
(the movement to unify Italy), "We have created Italy;
now we have to create Italians." In 1833 he published Ettore
Fieramosca, o la disfida di Barletta [Ettore
Fieramosca, or the Challenge of Barletta]. The first few
months of 1503 were taken up by preening, posturing and
sabre-rattling on all sides, but especially by French
knights trash-talking Spanish knights (mostly Italians),
probably on the order of "Well, sure, if you're going to
use new-fangled weapons of mass destruction! Oooohhh!
Arquebusses! Bang-bang, you're dead! I'm soooo scared!
But if you had any cojones—hey, that's Spanish, so
you should understand that, you lackies—we'd fight like
real men!" So on 13 February, 1503, 13 French knights and
13 Italian knights did, indeed, take it outside: the
knights met on the field of honor in a real-life,
last-one-in-history, knock-down-drag-out, glorious
jousting and sword-fighting tournament at Barletta near
Trani on the Adriatic. The Italians, led by Ettore
Fieramosca, won. (OK, it wasn't really that bloodthirsty.
They jousted like gentlemen and when they got knocked off
their horses and onto their asses, they went at it with
swords and battle-axes. No one was killed, but there were
a few wounded. The French losers were taken prisoners and
held for ransom, as per agreement. The French had been so
sure of victory that they had brought no coin of the realm
with them. Not even a credit card of the realm. Never
leave home without one.) Anyway, that's how Ettore wound
up with the swell castle in Aquara.